About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Putting up the Harvest

The gardens, the wilderness and our neighbors have blessed us with oodles of great fruits and vegetables that I have been canning. Two of my favorite books are the Ball Blue Book of Preserving and Small- Batch Preserving. Both are extremely amazing.
This is just a small portion of what we have "put up" so far this season.

So far we have preserved:
5 - 1/2 pts blueberry jelly (blueberries were foraged in the woods)
2 pts blueberry jelly (blueberries from the woods)
8- 1/2 pts bluebarb jam (blueberries from the woods and rhubarb from my garden)
10 pts green beans (beans from the garden)
7- 1/2 pts sugar snap peas (peas from the garden)
5pts garlic green beans (beas from the garden)
12 pts dilly beans (beans and dill from the garden)
7- 1/2 pts apple maple jam (local maple syrup and free apples from our neighbors apple tree...they were given to us, we did not steal them lol)
5 pts red hot applesauce (free apples from our neighbors apple tree)
6pts red hot apple wedges (free apples from our neighbors apple tree)
8 qts baby red potatoes (from our garden)
9qts white potatoes (from our garden)
2 qts green beans (from our garden)
2qts sugar snap peas (from our garden)
6pts stewed tomatoes (tomatoes and green peppers from our garden)
3 pts zucchini relish (zukes and green peppers form the garden. Red peppers given to us from my cousin)
7- 1/2 pts blackberry jam (blackberries picked by my sister's house)
We have also picked raspberries which were made into a custard cake dessert, strawberries that were froze, peas were shelled and froze, onions dried for future use in coups, salads, etc. Before I began keeping track I made rhubarb sauce, rhubarb jam, strawberry rhubarb jam and a few rhubarb desserts. The rhubarb comes from the garden and the strawberries were picked at a local pick your own strawberry patch/farm. We also have blueberries in the freezer from our foraging adventures.
Other goods I will be preserving in my very near future is more applesauce in the fall when we go to the orchard, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, stewed tomatoes (we can never have too many jars of those), whole tomatoes, salsa, sweet pickle slices, hamburger dills, sweet pickles, tomato soup, hopefully pesto, roasted red pepper spread, summer squash, zucchini, peaches, cherries for pies, cherry jam, cream corn, whole kernel corn, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and more beans and peas. August and September are busy months here for harvesting and home preserving. Our gardens are just beginning to give us an abundance of what we need on a daily basis. In the coming weeks I will have my hair in a pony tail, forget the eye make-up (because it would just melt off my face), towel on my shoulder and my green rooster apron around my neck. It's a great time of the year!! (Just don't judge me if you see me out in public and I have forgotten to take my apron off...hehe)



4 comments:

Melanie said...

All I can say is Holy Cow! Hooray for you!

I'm a little slow commenting, I'm catching up though! Geez, I've been busy.

Anonymous said...

I have a question.....I see some things you did 2 qts of or 3 pints of ...obviously not a whole canner full. How do you do those...mix different jars of things in the canner? I don't see dragging the canner out and using the water to fill it and gas to can it for just 2 jars of something in the canner. Help me out here?
Looks like you did a big variety of things. thanks B

Deborah said...

I have got to learn canning - is it hard? How do you know if things are all safe? I worry about that and it has held me back from trying it. Great job!

Deborah

D.M. SOLIS said...

Amazing things you're doing with your life, with your gifts of time and talents. It's great to see this. Thank you, peace, and continued good things for you.

Sincerely,
Diane