About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

On the Homefront

Every morning I am greeted by several sunflowers in the raised bed at home. It seems they grow 6 inches every night. Before long they will be as tall as the garage roof line.

Even the cherry tomato plant is reaching for the clouds. I had to trim some of the leaves from the zucchini because the vines were taking over more than half of my driveway and they were much taller than myself.
The potatoes in our tater tower are almost ready to harvest.


I came home from harvesting at our community garden plots and was looking around by the summer squash plants. I saw that there were oodles of large yellow flowers so I went to take a picture & holy bean bags!!! I found this almost 2lb squash hiding.


part of the larger raised bed. I'm soo glad we put these gardens in this year.


Nasturtiums keep garden pests away and the flowers and leaves are edible. We have yet to try them however. I'm really hoping to get another crop of lettuce and spinach. The onions and other lettuce have been harvested. Gosh, I sure do miss fresh spinach though.
We have 4 Eastern Black Swallow Tail caterpillars hanging out on the dill and cilantro in the back herb/strawberry raised bed. I look forward to being a witness to their transformation.


A daddy-long-leg finds some shade on the leaves of a sunflower.


We're starting to harvest carrots at home too. =)
We are still getting a couple zucchini per day and we've just begun getting rip tomatoes from the cherry tomato and yellow tomato plant. The birds have been munchin on the sunflower seeds and I'm happy to report that the planting of spinach, lettuce and beans I planted are all poking through the soil.

1 comment:

Anitra Cameron said...

Wow. I don't think I've ever grown anything that went quite that crazy with growth, lol. Well, except for one herb that was supposed to get about 18 inches tall and was nearly five feet high when I ended up pulling it up because it was taking over the entire bed!

Nasturtiums are GOOD. They taste kind of like peppery cabbage, and they're lovely in a salad. (Pansies are nice, too. Very mild.) Do try them!