About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Relay For Life

On Friday night at 10:30pm Ken and I met my sister and her husband at the Gladstone athletic field to participate in the Relay For Life.
It didn't matter how tired or stressed out we were with current events going on...we were walking/running for a cause very dear to my heart. I lost my Dad to colon cancer when I was 10 years old. I've had numerous uncles that cancer has taken too. My friends little brother lost his battle, our dear friend Max did as well. A couple months ago we lost our friend Mike, and this year my friend Amy. My friend's Mom lost her battle after many years of fighting. We lost Nana and Grandpa to the evil C-word as well. There are more people than our fingers and toes can count that we have lost to this nasty disease. BUT...my friend Becky conquered it, so did my sister Chris and Jamie. My aunt Barb is cancer free too. Our neighbor is alive and well, and so is my friend Marshall. My cousin's wife is doing well too after fighting lung cancer. We are completely blessed to have Ken's Uncle Don and Gpa in our lives after having prostate cancer.

My body was tired, but my heart was soaring. Seeing all those luminaries adorned with people's names and decorations lit up BOTH sides of the track inspired me and keep me doing...one more lap...numerous times. The pain in my legs and tiredness I was feeling at 1am was absolutely NOTHING compared to what a person fighting for their life feels. Those luminaries represent people who are fighting, have beat or have lost the fight. I consider it my duty to not only run for my loved ones who I have lost and am honoring, but to also support the others.
Like the banner says: THERE IS NO FINISH LINE UNTIL WE FIND A CURE

No comments: