About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This girls loves her dirt

Holy skittles!! It's been one heckuva month so far. Hopefully after two doctors visits, numerous nights of crying myself to sleep in pain is coming to an end. I never get sick like this. Never. It started with the flu right after Easter, turned into a cold, a sinus infection, a double ear infection and chest congestion. Talk about nonsense going through my body. I am hoping the new meds the doc put me on yesterday wipe this crud right out of my body. I am sooo beyond ready to get back to my goofified busy self!!

With all this going on we have still been able to accomplish a few things. We bought this "tater tower" from Lakestates Industries. I know, I could have made one myself but the funds for buying this goes to help our local special needs individuals. Lakestates is a business that teaches individuals with disabilities that they have abilities and can be of service to our community. It's really a fab thing all around. So, here's our tater tower. It's supposed to grow up to 100 lbs of taters. Now, some of you know that Ken's uncle owns a honkan huge potato farm and acquiring fresh, non chemicalized potatoes is not a problem at all. So, why grow them myself? Well, because I have never seen how a potato grows and I want that excitement. I'll keep you posted on my potato growing shenanigans. =)

Lookie here!! We took this rhubarb plant back with us from Massachusetts last summer from Nana's yard. She had oodles upon oodles of the red variety. (We have the green variety) We knew that after she passed that the family was going to be selling her house so we took "slips" and cuttings of all sorts of plants she had in her yard. I was beyond ecstatic when I saw this!! Bozinga!
We built another raised garden bed too. I know it's nothing fancy but imagine if you will, all of the delish veggies and fruits we will harvest! Shazam! Again, I'm super stoked!

I planted 20 strawberry plants and 8 asparagus and 64 onion sets so far in this bed. yeah, we like onions. Up until last year I though they were the most disgusting thing ever. Now, most dishes made in this household must always have onions, and garlic. I sometimes wonder if we smell like onions and garlic. LOL As you can see, I am implementing the square foot gardening in my raised beds. I will have 4 cubes of strawberries and two of asparagus. The bummer of these two plantings is that the asparagus is a two year variety. meaning I won't have a crop this year. Also it will be a year before I get a strawberry crop. But once they are established...we'll be in business!! I planted two blueberry plants in the front side garden too and a window box of spinach. It's still a bit early for everything else but very soon the carrots, broccoli, radishes, lettuce varieties, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, squashes, tomatoes and all the other fruits and veggies we have planned will go in. There will be several container gardens as well this year. Miss Kathy is gong to grow baby watermelons in a big honkan container!! Gosh, I love playing in the dirt!! Don't you?

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You make me laugh! We should be neighbors. I've got my onions in the ground and my peas are already up and growing. Keep in mind there was snow on the ground for most of this planting. It always snows at the end of April so I can't plant anymore until mid-May.

Your comment about smelling like onions and garlic was fabulous! I go to yoga class and I SWEAR I can smell garlic! It's so hard not to start giggling.

Jewel said...

All I can say is WOW! :) I am totally impressed!