About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Foodie Friday: Spinach Pesto

A couple weeks ago I made my very 1st spinach pesto...and I fell in love. Like, how on Earth did I go without such a delectable thing. Seriously, the stuff is devine. Actually, it's better than devine. It may be close to Heaven on Earth!! My next 34 years will absolutely positively include this yumalish necessity...at least once a month!!

I made another batch tonight, took out a bottle of some Door County Wine, put on some soft music, lit Nana's candle and enjoyed the pink roses I picked up today and put in the vase we filled with pink roses last year for Mother's Day. It makes me smile thinking of her and how much she loved pink roses.

Here's the recipe I used as a guideline for this yummo necessity. I say guideline because I never follow a recipe to a T... cuz I'm a rebel like that.

Spinach Pesto
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed well (I used fresh spinach)
1 cup fresh parsley
2/3 cup freshly grated parmesean cheese
1/2 cup walnut pieces, broken (I omitted this)
4 flat anchovy fillets (again, I omitted this yuckoid ingredient)
2 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste ( I used 4...we like garlic and we are frim believers in garlic)
2 TBSP basil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground fennel seed ( I omitted this because we didn't have any on hand)
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup olive oil (the first time I made this I used the one cup and it seemed to be a bit much. In tonight's batch I cut it down to 3/4 cup and it was superbaliffic!!!

In a food processor, using steel blade, blend spinach, parsley, cheese, nuts, anchovies, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and fennel seed until smooth. With motor running add olive oil in a steady stream. Makes about 2 cups. Keeps for a week or so in the refrigerator and may be frozen.

Make this!! It's phenomenal on top of chicken. That's what we did the first time. This time I just made up some angel hair pasta and served it on that. This stuff is totally awesome on crackers too.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Mmmm....thinking I need to try this one!! Thanks!!

Jewel said...

I just recently was introduced to pesto & I love that stuff!