About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Got some dirt for ya

This post is brought to you by Potato Planter Ken and Farmer Kathy. Don't worry, we won't be singing "the farmer in the dell" and doing a lil dance. We would, if this garden was in a secluded area but alas, it's right on the highway so it's not really a good idea...unless we want the local po-po to pick us up because they thought we escaped from the ward. You will see some dirt and the debut of my very first dirty video though!!

After lunch at Ken's grandparents house we went to our local hardware store and purchased a roll of snow fence. It's to hopefully keep the wildlife out, or at least deter them from eating our soon to be delicious veggies. We are the first ones to have our fence up and we planted most of our seeds.

In the far right corner we havd a 15' x 15' section for sweet corn. In front of that is where our potatoes get planted.
Here I am planting our assorted squashes. Acorn, butternut, yellow summer and zucchini.

Ken has the taters all spaced out and ready to be drilled into their holes. Wait till you see the video at the bottom of this post. It's exciting stuff Maynard!!

They even provide us with a porta pottie with harder than a paper bag toilet paper. I had to go check it out and of course Ken had to snap a picture...without me knowing. He was supposed to be working ;)


Planting the sweet corn...Can't you see it growing there already? I can. Yes, I am fully aware of the city slicker wanna-be farmer with her rear end in the air. I also see stalks 10 feet tall filled with ears of corn. Then, I see the stalks on our porch beams for fall decorations. It's going to be fantastic!!

The front area is the future home of dozens upon dozens of tomatoe plants. It's still a bit too cold to plant the tomatoes and peppers though. But look, the ground is ready and the carrots and onions are planted. =)



See my 15 foot double row of peas and beans? Those are going to be DEEEEE-LISH!!! We worked on the garden for almost 6 hours after lunch. It was a fantastic Mother's Day. =) I'll have to show you all the beautiful flowering bush Ken got for me and the sweet card. Have I mentioned lately that not only do I have a handsome hubby but he's so thoughtful, ooberously funny and one heckuva farmer!! LOL


And here is my first ever recorded dirty video. It stars "Potato Planter Ken" with "Farmer Kathy" behind the camera. We picked up this planter gadget last summer at the State Fair for $20. Talk about neato!!!

6 comments:

Tami said...

Oh girl I so jelly...your wonderful garden put my two tomato plants, basil and lettuce to shame!! I so cannot wait to have my own home to plant my little heart out! Love the video!!

Melanie said...

Sigh - Still too cold here to plant anything more. Onions and peas are in, of course, but nothing more until we heat up a bit.

Looks like a great piece of dirt to play in! Stick your bare toes in it one day, ok?

Jewel said...

That's a cool potato gadget! I'm excited for you guys. Now if only I lived closer!

It's me ...Mavis said...

Oh My... I have never seen a potato planter thing before... I think if I had one of those I could get my husband to help in the garden... Awesome! I can't wait to see sprouts!

Kathy said...

I am sooo excited about this planting gadget. We will be using it when we plant the 60 some odd tomato plants in a couple weeks.

Tami, this garden is a Community Garden plot we rented this season. Maybe they will have something like that in your area? We have such a small lot here at home. A garden like this would never be possible.

Melanie, you can bet I will be sticking my bare toes in the soil. My feet have perma-callouses from running around barefoot already.

Darryl said...

Hey Kathy and Ken, I sure hope Ken is putting the potato seeds in the right way! You don't want to have the leaves growing down into the ground and the new potatoes on top of the soil! (LOL - snicker, snicker, snicker!) I hope all your gardens do well. I have three blueberry plants in containers on my patio and just waiting for it to warm up and put some tomatoes and peppers in pots too. Of course, I'll edge all pots with some bright flowers. I can do this now since I have a Patio!!! Yeah! It was finished with a nice fence around last mid-September. I haven't had a meal out there yet, but I have had a fire in my chimnea once. Need to do more of that, esp. after a really busy day! If ever you and/or Ken are passing thru Ironwood, don't forget to stop and pay me a visit, yah hear??? Love ya!
Darryl