About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Monday, August 11, 2008

This weekend

This weekend = awesomeness times a million!!! Ken arrived home on Friday night & we be- bopped over to April & Bob's bon fire for a hour or so. We had to get up for our canoe trip early Saturday morning. Our niece Brittany & my lil brother Aaron spent the night at our house so we could set & jet.
******
Ok, the canoe trip....started out really well...about a half hour into it we swamped our boat. I was in the front, Brit was in the middle & the Kenster was in the back. Well, basically what happened is us gals in the front didn't have enough weight & everything was sooo wobbly!! Like bad. I totally thought I was gonna toss my cookies a few times. I'll tell ya something...canoeing is great for marriage counseling!! I warned everybody in our group that Ken & I have very poor communication skills when it comes to canoeing and warned them we in fact are not fighting or on the verge of divorce when we canoe. We both managed to do rather well on the communicationalizing part surprisingly. LOL Perhaps it had to do with Brit in the boat with us. Hehe I had purchased some 1 time use cameras for the trip but they were not waterproof. So those unfortunately got swamped with the over turning of our boat. So we have no pics from our great adventure =( My brother Bruce had taken oodles of pics though. I'm anxiously awaiting the disc =) About 3/4 of the way through the trip Ken put some large boulders in the front part of the boat to hopefully even out the ride a bit...well it worked like a gem & the rest of the trip was outstanding & no spats occurred =)
******
Yesterday we slept in & we couldn't figure out what in tarnation we wanted to do for the day. Should we clean our bedroom? Nah, too boring & responsible to do that! Should we clean the garage & organize all of Ken's tools? Nope to that too. Then we discussed going to Fayette State Park in Garden, MI. We hadn't been there in probably close to 9 years. So we grabbed a few things & set out for a fun filled K&K day. Which we hadn't had one of those in I dunno how long!!
****
In Garden there is an Apple Orchard. Ken apparently saw the place & turned around & went in the parking lot. It looked like an old run down school to me. But what the heck, we went in. There were no apples but they did have gorgeous looking cherries & my eyes feasted on the large room filled to the rim with books!!! There were also rooms with antiques. But I spent as much time as Ken allowed to rummage through the used books. Call me a wackadoodle but I sooo enjoy the smell of old books!!! I ended up only purchasing 5. But I plan on retuning to the orchard this Fall for apples & I'll totally rummage through the countless books & make a large addition to my wunnaful collection!! =)
*******
After the Orchard we headed on to Fayette. It's a Ghost Town these days. But back in the 1800's it was a booming Smelting town. Not smelting as in fish, but smelting as in pig iron. The town is situated on gorgeous Lake Michigan. I could go on & on about this town. As we walked through the old buildings we imagined what it was like back in the day. We took countless pictures, took lil rests along the pebble roads & sat along the shore & watched the waves crash. Wild raspberries grew all over the place. Neither of us could pass those up! LOL Then we noticed some fuzzy round raspberry looking berries. But knew they were not raspberries. Neither Ken nor I are hip on what berries are edible. I know blueberries, strawberries & raspberries. Oh and blackberries. Never saw one of these pretty berries though. We each picked one & gave it a sniff. Ken even took a lick. I wasn't so daring. We continued on our walk & there were more of these berries just mounds of them. This family in front of us was eating them so I asked what they were called. The woman was from the Copper Country up by Houghton, MI. She said they are thimble berries & they grow like crazy up there. So we picked a few & tried em...totally yummalicious!! While picking some Ken spotted a cute lil bird nest in the thimble berry bushes.
******
We were both getting pretty hungry despite the berry foraging so we snapped a few more pics on our way back to the parking lot. Well we planned on heading home but drove through Fayette's campground 1st & then saw a sign for another campground so we decided to go down this dirt road for what seemed forever. It was only 7 miles but it seemed to be longer. What a gorgeous place & we totally plan on going there next year!!
******
We stopped for din din at Thilene's. Actually we had never been there before either. The food was fantastic!!! Then we came home & chillaxed. Such a wunnaful weekend filled with awesome events!!

No comments: