About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Warmpth



You are looking at the gynormous, unsafe, non efficient unit that has heated this home for a few decades. We have only owned this house for 5yrs. On Sunday, February 20th she died. Ken & I were watching a lil tv before he had to go to work that night. I started sweating, asked Ken what the dealio was. Our house was 77 degrees!! He told me he was cold so he turned the thermostat up a couple degrees. Silly boy! If he'd wear some actual clothes in the winter....he was just in gym shorts. He does not parade around the house in the buff. Anyways, he turned the heat down on the thermostat...heat kept pumping through the vents. He went in the basement to shut the actual furnace off and restart it.




When he came upstairs he had that "this is not good" type look on his face. He said that he shut it off and when he turned it back on, flames shot up the side. YIKES!! We called the furnace fixer men. Yup, on a Sunday night. The fella came and confirmed it, our furnace croaked. Totally non fixable. He said that someone can come Monday morning to give us an estimate on a new one. Ok....So, we're gonna have a slumber party for a night and then get a new furnace. No biggie. Ken called his dispatcher and told her he would not be able to go to work until this problem at home was fixed.

We quickly shut the curtains and hung blankets on the windows that we do not have window treatments on to keep the heat in. We turned on electric heaters and blocked off the staircase going upstairs with another blanket. We were going to camp out in the living room for the night.

I put on my pink footie pajamas with polar bears and blew up the queen sized air mattress. We put an electric heating blanket on the top of the mattress and then our sheets and blankets.







Got up on Monday morning and the fella came her to check it out and get the info needed to make an estimate. The day dragged on, no word of an estimate...we thought he forgot about us. Ken called and a short time later we had two estimates. So, Monday night we slept in the living room. Again.

It really wasn't bad at all and we had fun. Reminded me of when we would camp in a tent. On Tuesday we thought, ohh awesome, we will give them their $ and work will begin on the new furnace. Nope, we had to wait until Wednesday. Ok, so night three on the living room floor.





Wednesday morning the banging began promptly at 8am. The guys took a break around 10am. Oh, and one of the fella totally looked like an older Aaron Rodgers from the Green Bay Packers. I contemplated how I could get a picture of him to show yas. But the hubby thought it would be a bit too odd. LOL

At lunch time Ken & I decided to go get sub sandwiches and we offered to get one for the fella that was still working in our basement. Neither Ken nor I hadn't the slightest clue who this man was, but we were grateful that he was going to hook us up with some heat. When we got home with our sandwiches Ken asked if we were going to make the guy eat in the cold basement or in the semi warm dining room. I said around the dining room table with us of course! Ken was thinking the same thing. Folks, we had a stranger eat a meal with us and it was fun. We learned about where the guy went to college and his family. It really was pretty neatotastic!

After we cleaned up lunch we realized that an aspiration on my 2011 list was completed. We paid for a strangers meal & had them eat in our home with us. Pretty cool if you ask me. By 4pm the 93% efficient new furnace was in and we had heat. I felt like hugging the man!!


No comments: