About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Monday, February 22, 2010

The day the library told me off...

I am very interested in reading this book "The Shack" by William Paul Young. I recently went to the Library with a list of books I was interested in checking out. I then remembered I would like to borrow this book so I went to the computer & typed in "The Shack" to get the shelf location. I was astonished as to what I saw and thought it must be some sort of joke. Now, keep in mind, I love books, and libraries. I should have known what it meant when I got the response of F YOU...I pushed the back button hoping to redo my search. This had to be a mistake...it had to be. The computer seized up and both Ken & I figured this had to be a joke. Someone clearly hacked into the libraries system.

I made my way to the front desk where I approached the Librarian who was checking out my other selections. I asked her if she knew where "The Shack" was located and I then, in my whispering library voice ...that I can't even hear told her that I did a search & it yielded F YOU. I then said F as in fish, Y-O-U. I wanted to bring it to her attention. I was still certain it was some sort of joke & Ms Librarian needed to know that the library is basically telling people off. She then calmly asked me the authors name & I responded...William Paul Young...still NO clue...she responded with a smile "Fiction Y-O-U...as in Young" Good golly grapes Katherine!!! I should have KNOWN that!!! Ken & I made it to that section & the book was checked out. We both scurried out as fast as possible.

I have to wonder if Ms Librarian thought I was nuts. Oh well. It gave us and many of my family a good chuckle. Perhaps they should change it to Fic You....just a thought


Title
The shack : a novel
Author
Young, William P.
Publisher:
Windblown Media,
Pub date:
c2007.
Pages:
249 p. ;



Escanaba Public Library
Copies
Material
Location
F YOU
1
Book

6 comments:

Melanie said...

That made me giggle! As an English major, and lover of all things grammatical and geeky, I would have serious issues with my library for allowing such a slip. My library uses the FIC system. Incidentally, what does your library use for non-fiction? Non-F You? NF You? Um, no thanks, we’ve got all the NF we can handle!

Jewel said...

Oh how hilarious! But I probably would've thought the same thing!

Kathy said...

Oh Melanie!! I knew you rocked but you are a fellow grammar geek which makes you all the more cooler!! I will have to take a look at the non fiction to see how they have it labeled. I agree, you have enough NF in your life.

It's me ...Mavis said...

FUNNY!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kath, Have you picked up a copy of this book & read it yet? If so, let me know. It is truly not what you'd expect!!

Kelly (your brother--thought I had a profile to leave comments but found I didn't--will have to do that someday!!)

Kathy said...

I have a few books I am readimg right now but as soon as I finish those I will mozie my fannie to the bookstore...or maybe the library.