About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Foodie Friday: Twinkie Cake


Oh wow, this week whooshed right by without a single post. I didn't plan it that way I assure you. On Sunday night I decided at the last minute to go on the road with my hubby. We got home on Tuesday night. Wednesday I caught up on my domestic goddess duties around the house that I had missed the previous days. I'm pretty anal about staying on track with my cleaning schedule. I'll talk more about that in a different post. Anyways, I had hoped to write something witty yesterday while in between loads of laundry but the darn washer decided it would be a fine time to croak...and the hubby is on the road so I'm yet another day behind schedule. I honestly can't tell you where yesterday went & I'm not all too happy I basically got nothing done. So that brings us full circle to Friday & I cannot NOT post this recipe!! I made it a week ago & that very same day it was GONE!!! No joke!! It's that delicious =) I'm not a huge Twinkie fan but occasionally enjoy chowing down on one. But this cake...yeah, pretty much kicks all sorts of bootie!!


Twinkie Cake


1 yellow cake mix

1 pkg instant vanilla pudding (I used the big box)

1 cup water

1/3 cup oil

3 eggs

1/2 tsp salt (I omitted this)


Filling:

1 cup water

5 TBSP flour

1c. sugar

1/2 cup oleo

1/2 cup Crisco

2 tsp vanilla

bit of almond extract


Mix all of the cake ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Pour into a 9 X 13 inch pan lined with wax paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool and turn out onto tray. Split into two layers. Put top half back into pan.
Filling: Cook 1 cup sugar and 5 TBSP flour on stove top until thick, stirring constantly. Cool and add the sugar, oleo, Crisco and extracts. Beat until thick and light like whipped cream. Fill cake. Put other layer on top. Chill cake (if you have the patience...we DIDN'T! and it was still delish) Keep in refrigerator (if you actually have any left...we didn't) May be frozen.
One more thing...I also made this with a strawberry cake mix & holy bean bags Batman!! Scrumdiddleeeumtious indeed!! Today I am going to have a good ole date with my kitchen & try this with a lemon cake. =)

4 comments:

Jewel said...

Ooh that sounds so good! I printed it off & next time I go grocery shopping I'm buying the ingredients! Thanx for posting it!

Tami said...

Oh girl just looking at that cake makes me gain 10 pounds what ya doing to me!! LOL....all joking aside it really looks wonderful!!

Jewel said...

I made it & it's yummy! Now I'm posting it on my blog! :)

Kathy said...

That's awesome jewel!! I look forward to your post :)