About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Foodie Friday: Beef Roast in the crockpot


A handful of years ago our friend Joy made this roast and we enjoyed it so much that it is now the only way we make a roast in the crockpot. The drippings make THE most outstanding gravy...in this WORLD!!! Also, the leftovers, along with the gravy make a wonderful stew, beef barley soup, or veggie beef soup starter. Just thin the gravy a bit, add some seasonings & whalaaa...you are on your way to a scrumptious re purposed meal =) Re purposed as in another meal is created from the leftovers rather than just heating up the originals.
What you'll need:
1 dry packet ranch dressing
1 dry packet Italian dressing (I sometimes used the zesty version)
1 dry packet brown gravy
1 dry packet mushroom gravy
2-3 cups of water
up to a 4 pound roast (I have done a roast as small as 3lbs with this & as large as 5lbs & still have plenty of juice)
a big crockpot
an onion
carrots
potatoes (if you wish)
Combine the seasoning packets along with the water, mix well. Put your roast in the bottom of the crockpot, add chopped onion, carrots, and potatoes. Cover. Cook on the low setting for 6-8hrs
What you will have is the most delicious roast you will ever eat. Trust me =)

4 comments:

Jewel said...

Ooh, I can't wait to make this. I love roasts in a crockpot. We already have roasts in the freezer so all I need to get is the other ingredients. I'm hosting small group @ my house tomorrow night & I'm planning on making your Twinkie Cake dessert! I can't believe I'm trying something new when company is here! Yikes! I'll let you know how it turned out!

Melanie said...

I have finally found the time to pop on over and have a poke around your blog. You are seriously talented! You cook, you’re losing your hearing, and have the word “dorkiness” listed as one of your labels - we were destined to be friends! Also, as if we didn’t have enough in common, the clincher for me was the shout out your gave about Neurofibromatosis. I cried! My husband and son both have NF1. I’m sure you’ve seen me mention my son’s tumor on my blog. Well, that’s what it is, NF1. Warm fuzzies!

Kathy said...

I feel the same way Melanie!! I was on the road with my hubby when I found your blog from Rhonda's. I spent a good few hours reading it & then re-reading your posts to my hubby & we were both like, whoa! The stuff we have in common is crazy awesome. I enjoy your blog so much.

One of my very fab friends Rebecca has NF2. She was diagnosed in her 20's after she started losing her hearing. I believe there needs to be more awareness out there for NF1 and NF2, Cancer and Meniere's Disease to name a few. I will keep your husband & son in my thoughts & keep my fingers crossed for a cure. Have a happy, fun filled, delicious weekend =)

Jewel~ Let me know how it works out for you...I Ken & I were one of the lucky 6 couples coming over!! =)

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.