About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

HOPE

Last night was truly amazing & one of the most heart felt events I have ever attended, if not the most!!


We arrived at the Relay For Life just as the Survivor Ceremony was about to begin. They announced oodles & oodles of Cancer Survivors by name & gave them each a balloon. While the names were being announced a middle aged woman that was seated next to me got up & got her balloon. She then came back & began talking to her friend who sat next to her. She told her friend how just the day before she found out some bad news...what the docs thought would be ovarian cancer is actually colon cancer. My eyes kept welling up & Ken was all choked up. Two years ago we lost Grandpa Woodbury to this evil disease.


So anyways, the ceremony continued. It really opened my eyes that people can & do survive. After all the names were announced the Survivors then took their victory lap around the track. The color guard led them & music was playing. It was such an awesome sight & when they got back around the crowd was cheering them on. The second lap was for the Survivors & their family/caregivers. That was sumthin else too. I didn't even realize two of my friends had cancer years ago. Mary & Amy have been cancer free for 5 & 6 years now. It's truly amazing.


After that lap the survivors then let their ballooons go & float away. For me it was awesome to see that & gave me hope that one day we'll kick cancers arse to the moon.


The Survivor Victory Lap









After that lap we set out on our walk. Ken walked around a couple times with me & his folks. Then my Mom- in- law & I continued. At dusk they lit up all the luminaries honoring & remembering the brave cancer fighters. These luminaries lined both sides of the track. There were also luminaries in the stands placed out to spell HOPE which was sooo ultra awesome.

My Mom-in-law & me

I'm a bit bummed with myself & mother nature... I had the original goal of 5 miles but hoped to do 10 miles. I ended up only being able to finish 4 miles & had to call it a night because of the rain.


Dad's Bag...


Becky & Janice's bag....

Doing this was really awesome, more than I could ever express or find the words for. It really opened my eyes & put some of my unfinished emotions I had with cancer & my Dad's death to rest. This will definately be an event we'll attend for years to come!!!

Always have HOPE!!!

1 comment:

Jewel said...

What a wonderful post! You created a nice tribute to cancer survivors!