About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Meniere's has me spinning round , round, like a record player














I have never met one of my bestest friends but I feel like I know her & she knows me. She has been my rock & a real inspiration with my Meniere’s crappolla. She has brought me to an acceptance of my Meniere’s that I’d never envision I’d possess.









Let me back up to the past few years…feeling sick & dizzy all the time wasn’t working for me. I figured it had to do with me being anemic years prior. I’d take my iron as instructed but it would never help. The world still had me on a not so fun amusement ride & I wanted off!!! My ears would ring & feel pressurized all the time. This was surely not a case of anemia!









About 6yrs ago I went to an ENT downtown & told him my symptoms & he did a hearing test & a word test. He went on to explain I had hearing loss. I then asked him what next. He looked at my chart & saw my age & saw that we didn’t have insurance. He then lit up a cigarette & proceeded to tell me that I am too young to have hearing loss & that it’s all in my head. I KNEW for certain it was not in my head. I left there disgusted & felt so betrayed. This person was supposed to help me out.









A few years passed & the dizzies got worse & my hearing was good one day & messed up another. I was sick & tired of being sick! FINALLY this past January I was diagnosed. I have meniere’s disease & I am bilateral, meaning both ears are affected.









I found the following article on Meniere’s at http://www.medicinenet.com/meniere_disease/index.htm It explains what Meniere’s is & what happens.


What is Meniere disease?Meniere disease, also called idiopathic endolymphatic hydrops, is a disorder of the inner ear. Although the cause of Meniere disease is unknown, it probably results from an abnormality in the way fluid of the inner ear is regulated. In most cases only one ear is involved, but both ears may be affected in about 15% of patients. Meniere disease typically starts between the ages of 20 and 50 years of age. Men and women are equally affected. The symptoms may be only a minor nuisance, or can become disabling, especially if the attacks of vertigo are severe, frequent, and occur without warning.










What are the symptoms of Meniere disease?The symptoms of Meniere disease typically include at least several of the following:









Episodic rotational vertigo: Attacks of a spinning sensation accompanied by disequilibrium (an off-balanced sensation), nausea, and sometimes vomiting. This is usually the most troublesome symptom. The vertigo usually last 20 minutes to two hours or even longer. During attacks, patients are very disabled, and sleepiness may follow. An off-balanced sensation may last for several days.











Tinnitus: A roaring, buzzing, machine-like, or ringing sound in the ear. It may be episodic with an attack of vertigo or it may be constant. Usually the tinnitus gets worse or will appear just before the onset of the vertigo.









Hearing loss: It may be intermittent early in the onset of the disease, but overtime it may become a fixed hearing loss. It may involve all frequencies, but most commonly occurs in the lower frequencies. Loud sounds may be uncomfortable and appear distorted in the affected ear.










Ear fullness: Usually this full feeling occurs just before the onset of an attack of vertigo.















How is Meniere disease diagnosed?


The diagnosis of Meniere disease is primarily made on the history and physical examination. An audiogram is helpful to show a hearing loss, and to rule-out other abnormalities. Early in the onset of the disease, the audiogram between the attacks will be normal. Only later it may show a permanent hearing loss. It is often helpful, if it can be done safely, to have an audiogram during or immediately following an attack of vertigo. This may show the characteristic low frequency hearing loss.









Other tests such as the auditory brain stem response (ABR), a computerized test of the hearing nerves and brain pathways, computer tomography (CT) or, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be needed to rule out a tumor occurring on the hearing or balance nerve. These tumors are rare, but they can cause symptoms similar to Meniere's disease.










How can Meniere disease be treated?
Diet & Life Style: A low salt diet is very helpful to reduce the attacks of vertigo. In fact, a meal high in salt, may induce an attack. Avoid caffeine, smoking and alcohol. Regular
sleep and remaining physically active, while avoiding stress and excessive fatigue may decrease the frequency of attacks and tinnitus.











Medications: A diuretic (water pill) such as dyazide, combined with a low salt diet, is the primary treatment of Meniere disease. Anti-vertigo medications such as Antiver (meclizine) or Valium (diazepam) may provide temporary relief during the attacks of vertigo. Anti-nausea medications (phenergan) is sometimes also prescribed. Both anti-vertigo and anti-nausea medications may cause drowsiness.











Surgery: If vertigo attacks are not controlled medically and are disabling, one of the following surgical procedures may be recommended depending on the patient's situation: (a) Endolymphatic Shunt (b) Selective vestibular neurectomy (c) Labyrinthectomy and eighth nerve section.










Although there is no real cure for Meniere disease, the attacks of vertigo can be controlled in nearly all cases. If you have vertigo without warning, you should not drive, because failure to control the vehicle may be hazardous to yourself and to others. Safety may require you to forego ladders, scaffolds, and swimming.










So back to my friend….I met her in a Meniere’s support group awhile ago. Like I said, she’s been my rock & a true inspiration in fighting this disease & hopefully one day kicking it’s arse.
It’s not easy to go about every day feeling as though I am going to fall over or puke from dizzies & vertigo. Some days my hearing is so faduckled & understanding speech is a royal PITA! Luckilly I have the amazing support of my loving husband. For the most part he’s very patient with me on my bad days.











I’ve lost many friends through this whole thing but I have also met many & some friendships have become closer. Some people don’t “get it” when I can’t just hop in the truck & go hang out. I will not & don’t drive when I have the dizzies. Not that I was ever a drinker but for the most part I am the only sober one at parties. No, I don’t get trashed on one drink…the alcohol sends me into a vertigo attack.










So far I have only had several wham bam knock me on my arse attacks. They are a major pain but I am fortunate so far to have only had to deal with them that much. I’ve broken my toe from a fall during a dizzy attack & I’ve even ripped my most favoritist pair of jeans from a drop attack I had this past winter on my driveway. The fall sucked but what bugged me at the time was my favorite comfy fitting Levi’s had been ruined. I’m not one to fashion ripped up bloody jeans. I have also had a few occasions of having to crawl to the couch or bed during a bad vertigo attack.
I think I am finally to a place of acceptance with my Meniere’s. I know my balance will always be messed up, I know there will be ignorant dare I say “asshats” who only know ignorance, there will always be people tell me what they think the cure for MM is, most likely my hearing will continue to dwindle & someday I may go deaf. I will always have tinnitus & meclazine will forever be carried with me for attacks. I have a wicked odd sense of humor & I have the ability to laugh at myself . I rest on the not too swellacious days & I treasure the feel good days much more now.















So that’s Meniere’s in a nutshell. Thanks to the courage & inspiration Shash (my internet friend) has given me & the continual support from my hubby & some very fantastic friends & a few family members I am A-OK with whatever Meniere’s decides to throw at me. I’ve overcome far worse things in life!! =)



1 comment:

Jewel said...

WOW! Thanx for sharing what Meniere's is! You sound like you're a strong person! And that's awesome that you have that support from you hubby! That is so important!