About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Foodie Friday: Rootbeer & Gingerale


Who doesn't love Root beer? This past week making homemade root beer was on my agenda. Yesterday we were finally able to drink some. Totally delish!! I also made home made ginger ale using this same recipe but omitting the root beer extract & adding 1 1/2 grated fresh ginger.


1 clean and dry plastic 2ltr bottle with a screw on cap

funnel

1 cup sugar (Splenda can be used)

1/4 tsp powdered yeast

1TBSP root beer extract


Using the funnel, pour in sugar & then yeast; Remove funnel and shake to mix sugar & yeast.


Replace funnel and pour in extract; leaving funnel in place, fill bottle half full with cold water from the tap (we used filtered water from our Brita)


Remove funnel and swirl contents in the bottle until dissolved.


fill bottle to the neck with water and screw cover on tightly.


Let bottle sit at room temperature for about 4 days or until the bottle feels heard like an unopened bottle in the store


Store in a cool place where the temp is below 65 degrees


Before opening, place in refrigerator and chill thoroughly...loosen cap SLOWLY!!


Notes: like I said, we made the ginger ale as well. After the bottle was hard we then strained the shredded ginger out and bottled it up.



2 comments:

Mia said...

Hello, Ms. Kathy!

A friend of ours made homemade ginger ale using fresh ginger as well--loved it!
Thanks for posting the recipes!!


Mia

Melanie said...

I love ginger ale when it's good and spicy. I have an addiction to ginger, though. I make mine in reusable glass bottle with those latch-style closures, but only because I got a bunch at a yard sale!