About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Applesauce...Shwell

Before you think I made a typo let me explain the title. Ok, this is highly dorky but it totally fits me =) Ok, when I was young we'd watch The Brady Bunch every night. Well in one of the episodes Peter says "pork chops and applesauce...shwell" That saying has stuck in my brain since then & if I talk about applesauce I automatically have to say shwell. I know...bizarre & a bit wackadoodle-ish.















We collected this bucket of apples Sunday night from Pat & Sam's house & I finally got time today to make them into yummy sauce. I first washed them, and cut off any not too swell looking spots. I didn't bother peeling them as the puree-er that I have would catch the skins. Plus the apples were rather small. (The next batch I will peel them) The picture I took of the apples cooking down turned out real crappy. So this is what I did...put the quartered apples in a very large pot, added some apple juice, a bit of sugar & water to prevent sticking. Covered the pot & let it boil. I stirred the apples periodically to prevent sticking & burning. I decided to use part apple juice instead of all water in the pot because I think that using all water takes away some of the apple flavor. It's totally up to the cook what they'd like to use.









After the apples were mushy enough I spooned them into Mom's applesauce maker. I recently blogged about this awesome gadget I inherited that was my Mom's. Using it today made me giddy as all heck. It was a lot of work but well worth it. As I rotated the wooden thing in the metal sieve the sauce dripped through the tiny holes & was then caught in a bowl that was placed under the sieve.


That whole basket of apples only yielded 5 jars. But it was a start & a trial run to the upcoming applesauce making days. Plus the apples made my home smell like Fall & inspired me to dig out my autumn decorations. Oh, how I love the Fall season!!! The apple orchard in Garden should be open starting next week. Then we'll be back in business and that is rather shwell if I do say so meself!!! =)



No comments: