About Me

My photo
I'm a bit silly & I like to make people laugh. People tell me I'm rather loud but I am usually quiet until I get to know you. I love life, I live life to the fullest & treat others as I would like to be treated.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Is part of my heart dead?

There is such thing as needing time together right? I'm talking as in a marriage. Or any relationship for that matter. Even in the best of relationships. It's so important to take time to yourselves to reconnect & keep that fabulous relationship alive...right?

Well those are my beliefs anyways...apparently not all people find things such a nurturing a marriage important. For me my marriage means everything to me. Well what occurred to me today has got me beyond disgusted. My mind is just boggled & my heart is just hurt.

For months Ken & I have had an "alone" camping trip planned. Sure, we don't have kids and I go on the road with him. But it's not the same as spending time with one another. This away weekend is something I looked so forward to. To reconnect with my hubby means everything to me. He's been working a lot. So when he is home he's pretty tired & has been cranky. He's not usually like this. He's been so snippy & ornery and it's wearing me down.

We have talked about this alone weekend for some time. Our friends & his folks knew we were planning this get away. So, today I was completely floored when we were asked if they could tag along for the weekend. Now is it rude of us, more so me to be upset about this? This was a weekend we set aside for "US" and us only. A time for our marriage.

I handed Ken the phone & let him tell them no, that we wanted a weekend to ourselves. He did that but then he got off the phone & said "good one, Kat, you broke her heart" Then he said a bunch of other stuff about them leaving soon for TX & we'll have time then. So why...I've got to wonder...why would they do this. It totally put Ken in the middle having to choose between his parents & the weekend with his wife to work on our relationship. And just so everybody knows...no there are no problems on the homefront. It's just something we do now & then to keep the relationship nurtured.

Needless to say, his parents won, he chose them & they will be joining us on "our" weekend. He went on to tell me a part of my heart is dead...the part where there's a love for parents. I haven't had parents since I was 10 so this whole parents wanting to be around is so new to me. But I don't think my heart is dead. I do love them so dearly. I have phenomenal in-laws. It hurts me greatly the things Ken said and that his folks would impose like that...knowing we had this weekend planned. Do they not understand we NEED this. Life has been crazy hectic. I miss my husband...

Please pray that our weekend turns out well. I'm not having much hope for fun times at this point & am contemplating staying home & working on my craft room while Ken goes to nurture our marriage with his folks...

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Oh Kathy, my heart goes out to you! Of course not you're heart is not dead! You wouldn't be the passionate caring person that you are if it was. That was an awful thing for Ken to say! I totally agree with you, that EVERY marriage needs "US" time, it doesn't matter if you're marriage isn't falling apart...you need that nurturing time...especially when children are involved...it's so easy to get sucked up into talking to the children, hanging out with the children, doing what the children want...but even tho you guys don't have children you still need US time! That is absolutely too bad that your in-laws are coming along! Becuz it was suppose to be your guys' time! And that's too bad that Ken couldn't make that decision for you guys. I will be praying that out of this situation you will have a fun time! And that from this you & Ken can grow on how to communicate with each other & to other family members better that you need US time! I love ya, girl!